Dog thought to have a brain tumour turns out to have a 7cm needle stuck in neck – The Independent

0
Dog thought to have a brain tumour turns out to have a 7cm needle stuck in neck – The Independent

A dog who was thought to be ill with a brain tumour has made a full recovery after X-rays revealed that it instead had a sewing needle stuck in its neck. 

Toby, a Yorkshire terrier, was suffering from neck pain, struggling to walk and showing signs of seizures. 

Its worried owners took the 13-year-old to the vet, who suspected the dog had a tumour. 

Join Independent Minds

For exclusive articles, events and an advertising-free read for just
£5.99
€6.99
$9.99
a month

Start your free trial

Get the best of The Independent

With an Independent Minds subscription for just
£5.99
€6.99
$9.99
a month

Start your free trial

Get the best of The Independent

Without the ads – for just
£5.99
€6.99
$9.99
a month

Start your free trial

But X-ray images revealed that a 7cm needle, thread attached, was lodged in its neck. 

It had pierced the terrier’s spinal cord and was close to its brain.

left
Created with Sketch.

right
Created with Sketch.

1/4

X-ray showing the 7cm needle lodged in the neck of Yorkshire Terrier Toby

PA

2/4

X-ray showing the 7cm needle lodged in the neck of Yorkshire Terrier Toby

PA

3/4

Yorkshire Terrier Toby has since made a full recovery

PA

4/4

Yorkshire Terrier Toby has since made a full recovery

PA

1/4

X-ray showing the 7cm needle lodged in the neck of Yorkshire Terrier Toby

PA

2/4

X-ray showing the 7cm needle lodged in the neck of Yorkshire Terrier Toby

PA

3/4

Yorkshire Terrier Toby has since made a full recovery

PA

4/4

Yorkshire Terrier Toby has since made a full recovery

PA

Vets at the University of Edinburgh’s Hospital for Small Animals at the Royal School for Veterinary Studies managed to remove the needle during surgery in August 2018.

The team used specialist X-ray equipment to monitor the needle in real time and withdrew it without an invasive procedure. 

“We feel that without the help of the experts in Edinburgh, Toby would not be here today,” said Alexander Jamieson, his owner.

“The care and attention he got was out of this world and we are delighted to see him back to his old self”

It is unclear how the needle ended up in Toby’s neck but vets suspect that he could have eaten it or laid his head on it.

Support free-thinking journalism and subscribe to Independent Minds

 “We are really pleased to see Toby back to full health, thanks to the combined efforts of his vets and our specialist teams here in Edinburgh,” said Samantha Woods, a senior lecturer at the University of Edinburgh.

Additional reporting by agencies

Read More

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here